Effective: January 16, 2020
This policy covers the treatment and use of information that is collected by Andrews McMeel Universal through your use of the Sites.
2. WHAT INFORMATION IS COLLECTED?
Our Sites collect various information about you, including information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. In particular, the Sites may have collected the following categories of information from consumers within the last 12 months:
|(A) Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.|
|(B) Personally identifiable information||A name, signature, address, year or month of birth, household information, telephone number, email address, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
Some information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
|(C) Commercial information||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.|
|(D) Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.|
|(E) Geolocation data||Physical location or movements.|
|(F) Inferences drawn from other personal information||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.|
Andrews McMeel Universal does not collect information that consists of:
- Sensitive personal information such as social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, bank account numbers, or other similar information.
- Protected classification characteristics such as race, color, ancestry, national origin, or similar immutable characteristics.
- Biometric information such as genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics.
- Sensory data such as audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
- Professional or employment-related information from consumers other than applicants, employees, business owners, directors, officers, medical staff, or contractors of Andrews McMeel Universal.
- Non-public education information.
Andrews McMeel Universal obtains the categories of information listed in the table above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or products and services you purchase.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our Sites.
- Social media companies when you link your account to our Sites.
Please note that your personal information does not include (A) publicly available information from government records or (B) deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
3. HOW IS MY INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We collect certain information when you register or provide us your information on the Sites. We may ask you to register and/or provide information when you visit certain areas of our Sites, register for services, order products, enter contests, subscribe to a newsletter, or other communication. If you choose not to register, you may not have access to areas that require registration. We may receive information, including information about you from other sources, such as publicly available sources, if you log in through social media platforms or other third-party data providers, such as analytics, audience identification, and demographics providers, and combine that with information we receive from you.
If you use a device with Global Positioning System (“GPS”) or other location detection functionality, then we may collect precise information about the location of your device during your use of the Sites.
4. HOW IS MY INFORMATION USED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL UNIVERSAL?
Andrews McMeel Universal may use, sell, or disclose information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders;
- To process purchases, transactions, and payments;
- To attempt to detect and reduce fraud, credit risk, and other illegal activities or threats to the safety, security, or integrity of the Sites;
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Sites, products, and services;
- To personalize your experience and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Sites, third-party sites, and via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law);
- To provide a seamless experience across multiple devices, platforms or browsers for each user;
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us as well as provide certain premium content services or products subject to a subscription agreement or registration;
- To send periodic messages, via mobile, twitter, email, or other platforms, with content updates, subscription information, and order information;
- To offer special contests or promotions that are sponsored by Andrews McMeel Universal or another company;
- To operate chat, bulletin board, or other user-generated content functionality. Any posting by you is considered public information available to other users and is governed by the Terms;
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations;
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Andrews McMeel Universal’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Andrews McMeel Universal about our Sites’ users is among the assets transferred; and
- To fulfill or complete any other purpose or function described to you when collecting your information.
5. WHO DOES ANDREWS MCMEEL UNIVERSAL SHARE INFORMATION WITH?
Subject to applicable law, we share your information with our affiliates, suppliers, vendors, and/or their agents and employees for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. As examples, we may share your personal information or other data (A) with third parties assisting us in the provision, administration, and management of goods and services generally; (B) with third parties that assist us in providing goods and services that you request; (C) with third parties that support our business operations or provide marketing or advertising services on our behalf, including marketing, technical, accounting, legal or other professionals; and (D) as otherwise required or permitted by law or approved by you. We may use your information for our general business operations and goods and services provided by us if it is in a form that is not capable of being personally identified with you (including hashed email addresses as described below or other persistent identifiers) or if it is combined with information from one or more other customers in aggregate form that does not personally identify any particular customer. We may also sell, license or otherwise provide such de-identified or aggregated data to third parties.
We allow certain companies to place tracking technologies like cookies and pixels on our Sites, which allow those companies to receive information about your activity on our Sites that is associated with your browser or device. The companies may use that data to serve you more relevant ads on our Sites or other websites. In the preceding 12 months, Andrews McMeel Universal has permitted collection by third parties or disclosed the following categories of information for a business purpose, generally in connection with such online advertising: (A) Identifiers; (B) Personally identifiable information; (C) Commercial information; (D) Internet or other similar network activity; (E) Geolocation data; and (F) Inferences drawn from other personal information. Under some state laws, sharing data for online advertising like this may be considered a “sale” of information. Except for this kind of sharing or in connection with a corporate transaction as mentioned below, Andrews McMeel Universal doesn’t sell your personal information.
As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets, and, depending upon the transaction, your information may be one of the transferred assets. In the event that Andrews McMeel Universal or any Site is acquired by another company, your information may be part of the assets transferred to the acquiring party.
6. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS TO CONTROL THE USE OF MY INFORMATION?
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of the rights provided below.
Personal Information Sales Opt-Out
You have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information at any time. We do not sell the personal information of consumers who we know are less than 16 years of age, unless we receive affirmative authorization from either the consumer (if 13-16 years of age) or the parent or guardian (if under 13 years of age). Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales may opt-out of future sales at any time. You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your opt-out rights. We will only use personal information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.
To exercise the right to opt-out, you (or your authorized representative) may submit a request to us by visiting the following page: https://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/privacy-requests
Promotional Communications Opt-Out
Location Sharing Opt-Out
You may opt-out of allowing us to have any access to your precise location data by disabling your device’s location detection functionality or GPS or, if possible on your device, disabling permission for our Sites to access such location detection functionality or GPS.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
If you are a California resident, you may request that Andrews McMeel Universal disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will, to the extent required by applicable law, disclose specific information about what information we have collected, the sources we collected information from, our business purpose in collecting information, who we shared information with, the specific pieces of information we collected about you (also called a data portability request), and any sales or disclosures for a business purpose of your information.
Deletion Request Rights
If you are a California resident, you may request that Andrews McMeel Universal delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is permitted under applicable law. You should also be aware that deleting certain information may impact your ability to receive certain services from Andrews McMeel Universal including newsletters, accounts, subscriptions, etc.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above as permitted under state law, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
a. Calling us at 877-682-5425.
b. Visiting https://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/privacy-requests.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must: (A) provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative; and (B) describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If applicable, any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded.
7. TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO THE UNITED STATES
The Sites are based in the United States, and are directed to U.S. residents, and we process and store information in the U.S. If you are located outside the U.S., we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access to your information in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
8. CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Sites are general audience sites and are not directed to children under the age of 13. Andrews McMeel Universal assumes products and services purchased by credit card are purchased by adults. Andrews McMeel Universal respects the privacy of parents and children and is committed to complying with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and applicable state law. On those areas of the Sites that ask for age, Andrews McMeel Universal does not collect personal information from individuals who identify themselves as under the age of 16 except in those limited circumstances where Andrews McMeel Universal believes that such collection is permitted under COPPA and other applicable law.
If a parent believes that his or her child has submitted personal information to Andrews McMeel Universal, he or she can contact us via email or postal mail as listed below. Andrews McMeel Universal will promptly delete the information upon learning that it relates to a child under the age of 13.
9. ANDREWS MCMEEL UNIVERSAL’S DATA SECURITY DISCLAIMER.
We do not provide any guarantee or warranty by us that your information will not be accessed or compromised by third parties, or that we will use all available security technologies to prevent unauthorized access to, use, or disclosure of your personally identifying information; or that your information will be transmitted without unauthorized interception or modification. We may permanently delete or destroy any and all information at any time as determined by us.
10. EUROPEAN UNION / GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (“GDPR”)
If you are located within the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or within another jurisdiction having similar data protection laws to the GDPR, Andrews McMeel Universal provides such users the following rights:
- the right to be told how we use your information and obtain access to your information;
- the right to have your information rectified or erased or to place restrictions on processing your information;
- the right to object to the processing of your information (e.g., for direct marketing purposes);
- the right to have information you directly provided to us provided to you in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format;
- wherein the processing of your information is based on your consent, the right to withdraw that consent subject to legal or contractual restrictions;
- the right to object to any decisions that have significant legal effect based on the automated processing of your information, including profiling; and
- the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority responsible for data protection matters.
Certain data protection law requires us to rely on one or more lawful grounds to process your personal information. We consider the following grounds to be relevant:
- Consent: Wherein you have provided consent in accordance with applicable law to us using your personal information in a certain way, such as to send you email, text, and/or telephone marketing.
- Performance of a contract: Wherein we are entering into a contract with you or performing our obligations under it, such as when you buy products and services through the Sites.
- Legal obligation: Where necessary so that we can comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which we are subject, for example where we are ordered by a court or regulatory authority.
- Legitimate interests: Wherein it is reasonably necessary to achieve our or others’ legitimate interests (as long as what the information is used for is fair and does not unduly impact your rights). We consider our legitimate interests to be operating the Sites and facilitating the services we provide to users. For example, to:
- understand how people choose/use our services and products;
- determine the effectiveness of our services, promotional campaigns, and advertising;
- monitor whom we deal with to protect against fraud, money laundering, and other risks;
- enhance, modify, personalize, or otherwise improve our services / communications for the benefit of our customers; and
- better understand how people interact with the Sites.
When we process your personal information in this way, we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights under data protection laws. We will not use your personal information where our interests are overridden by the impact on you.
Due to the nature and location of our business in the United States, your personal data will be disclosed to Andrews McMeel Universal and others as outlined herein outside of the EEA, including in the United States. It may also be processed by our employees or suppliers operating outside the EEA.
If you are in the EEA, we provide adequate protection for the transfer of your personal data to countries outside of the EEA through a series of intercompany agreements based on the Standard Contractual Clauses authorized under EU law or equivalent measures. A copy of the Standard Contractual Clauses is available here: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/data-transfers-outside-eu/model-contracts-transfer-personal-data-third-countries_en.
11. HOW DO I UPDATE MY INFORMATION?
You can help Andrews McMeel Universal maintain the accuracy of your profile by notifying us when you change your address, phone number, email address, or other information. If at any time you wish to update your information then contact us or edit the information within your account, if applicable. Please include your old and new contact information in any message so that we can make the appropriate corrections.
12. COOKIES, ADVERTISEMENTS AND THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
In addition, we may provide one-way secured (or “hashed”) versions of your email address or similar identifying information to certain third parties to provide more relevant and customized experiences and advertising to you as you browse the Sites or other third-party websites. This hashed version of your email address is a text string that uniquely identifies your email address but which is designed to prevent reverse engineering so that a third party should be unable to utilize the actual underlying email address and merely identify you as a unique user across devices, sessions, and browsers if you provide the same identifying information. If you provide a third party’s website with the same identifying information and that third party utilizes the same method of hashing, it is possible that the third party could match information obtained from us and combine it with information that you provide to the third-party website. For example, we may use ALC’s advertising services to provide you with more customized advertising by providing them with a one-way hashed version of your email address. You can learn more about how they process information, including information you submit to them directly, and about how to opt out of their targeted services by visiting https://optoutpreference.org/.
13. REFER A FRIEND
If a user elects to use our referral service for informing a friend about our Sites or particular products or services, we ask them for the friend’s name and email address. Andrews McMeel Universal will automatically send the friend a one-time email inviting them to visit the Sites. Andrews McMeel Universal stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email. The friend may contact Andrews McMeel Universal to request the removal of this information from their database.
14. CONTACTING ANDREWS MCMEEL UNIVERSAL
Andrews McMeel Universal
Attn: Andrews McMeel Universal Privacy
1130 Walnut St.
Kansas City, MO 64106 USA